Friday, May 31, 2013

sports day & field trip



I think this is the first time I've ever posted photos of my kids! In case you weren't aware, I've been teaching English in Korea for the past ten months at a school of about 300 students. Although I only ever post photos from my weekends out and about, from Monday to Thursday I am stationed at Jangyang Elementary teaching curriculum English classes to the 3rd and 4th graders, and after school classes to the 3rd to 6th. It's been an amazing experience thus far and I've rediscovered my love for children. Bratty, moody, obnoxious - what's not to love? At the end of the day though, they're just really, really cute, especially on days like these. 

During the first week of May, elementary schools all across the country held their sports days. Here are some photos from ours at Jangyang! The day started early with roll call for the teachers at 7 am.

Our school doesn't have a track. Our 4-1 teacher preps the lines on our sandy field.
Scoreboard - blues against whites (universal sports day team colours in Korea)
 
 
 

The day's events began with a set of choreographed warm-up exercises. Adorable!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Then it was time for the races, relays, and games! So much fun to watch.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
#onlyinasia
 
 
 
 
 
The X or O game
 
 
 
The white team captain and the blue team captain chicken fight to the death
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I think the teachers had just as much fun as the students!


II.


The following week, I tagged along with the grade three, four, and fives on a field trip to Seoul. We went to Gyeongbukgung Palace, which I hadn't been to yet, and the Coex Aquarium, which was less than memorable. The day was clear and hot and beautiful, and the Jangyang kids were extra cute in their little caps and knapsacks.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mini Ji Yoon taking a mini selca
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
4-2 class :) 
 
 
 
 
 
Yun Woo writing down some important notes
Heads buried in history brochures
One of my faves - Dae Sung!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

After walking the grounds, we settled for lunch on the field just outside the palace.
Something I love about the culture here is the sharing of food. All the little groups of friends had their lunch boxes laid out for all to take from as they pleased.

 
 
 
 
 
 

Our next stop was the Coex Aquarium.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Post field trip hweshik with the teachers: raw fish. Appropriate I suppose!


The day was long and tiring, but it was fun being outside of the classroom environment with the little guys.

I sorted through my Jangyang photo folder and came across some really cute pictures from last winter's English camp and theatre competition - hopefully I'll get around to posting those at some point! :)

No comments: